Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My own creation

Updated to add: This was really good leftover, maybe better than the first night. Just sayin'.

I am a recipe person. And, I like the follow the recipe precisely, especially the first time I make something. I am not much of a creative cook. In the past few months, though, I've started to branch out a little more and have become more confident in my ability to put things together that taste good without someone else's instructions. Usually, this just looks like a random addition or substitution. Or occasionally I'll combine a couple different ideas. But, tonight, I went all the way. This soup recipe is all mine. I'm sure it looks like other soups of the sort, but I promise I didn't get it from a cookbook, magazine, blog, Pinterest, etc...

It was good. Phil and CJ both gushed over it anyway. And I figure I better record it here in case we want it again in the future.

Chipotle Chicken Posole
(please forgive me, I did a lot of guessing, not a lot of measuring)
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I probably had 1.5 lbs or so)
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 c. chicken broth
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, diced finely (I didn't take out the seeds, and my soup had some heat)
Chili powder
Cumin
Coriander
2 corn tortillas, cut into pieces
Salt
1 can (15 oz) hominy, drained/rinsed
...I sure hope I'm not forgetting anything

Put the chicken thighs in the bottom of your crockpot. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin and coriander (or whatever spices you prefer). Top with onions and carrots. Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes. Add the chipotle in adobo. And the corn tortilla pieces (these will dissolve and thicken the broth). Cook on high 4-5 hours until chicken shreds easily. Remove chicken and shred. Return to crockpot and add hominy. Taste and season with salt if needed. Let heat through (about 30 minutes should be plenty).

Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, sour cream, baked tortilla strips (slice 4 corn tortillas into thin strips, toss with 2 tsp. oil, bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, tossing occasionally.)

Serve with JalapeƱo Cheddar Scones. I'll post that next. They were scrumptious...and from a recipe.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Montgomery said...

Oh, Jimi! I am SO going to enjoy your blog! Thanks for sharing!

What we are eating this week:

Mon- pulled pork bbq sandwiches
Tues- Chk cordon blue casserole (from pinterest- check my cooking board...I think it needed a few changes for our taste)
Wed- burritos (freezer meal) with corn & bean dip and homemade salsa
Thursday- Spinach salad with leftover chicken from (Tues prep)
Friday- Homemade pizza family fun night!
Sat- Raid the kitchen! (leftover night)
Sun- Crockpot meal for lunch- we are going to make your soup! (I changed it up bc it sounded SO good!)
- Sun night- popcorn and apples and cheese (as always!)