Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Dad's Chili

Phil loves to tell the story of when we were first married (or maybe when we were dating) and he went along with me to my parents. My dad made this chili and we all took a zantac, or something similar, before dinner. And, of course, offered one to Phil. He seriously wondered what he was getting into. Who in the world takes medicine before the eat (other than for medical reasons)?

Since then, my dad has tamed the chili down a bit and we no longer medicate before eating. It's still spicy, but not nearly like it was. It's one of my favorite things to eat. Of course, you need to be able to find Snap-E-Tom (spicy tomato juice) in order to make it. I'm not sure it would work with anything else. (I have never successfully located it in Wichita, but my brother finds it in Kansas City, no problem.)

By the way, this is a Texas-style chili, no beans, just steak and sauce. We eat it over rice, topped with sour cream, with flour tortillas on the side. Yum. Oh, and it's delicious leftover. And (one more thing), last week, we topped it with diced avocado. Wow.

Dad's Chili
1 1/2 lb. beef sirloin, cut into small cubes
2 TB oil
2 cans Snap-E Tom (about 20 oz), tomato & chile cocktail (what it says on the can)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. oregano
1 T. chili powder (more chili powder will make it spicier)
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
3 cans Rotel tomatoes (if you want to make it super spicy, use 1 can of HOT Rotel)
Sour cream
Tortillas
Rice

Brown meat in oil (I usually do 2 batches) in a large stockpot/dutch oven. Stir in everything but the Rotel tomatoes (and sour cream, tortillas, rice). Simmer 45 minutes with the lid on. Add tomatoes. Simmer 15 minutes (or more if you have it...45 or so) until juice is thickened. Serve over rice (or chips). Top with sour cream.

If I were going to have secret recipes, this would definitely be one. So, enjoy. :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh wow - this looks so amazing! What an interesting way to make chili. I am totally going to try this! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!